Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Surgery?

And I thought things were going so well.

I realized about 48 hours ago that our 4yr old stopped pooping. Sigh. Suppositories on top of laxatives aren't producing anything. So Childrens Hospital told me to redo the "cleanout" plan we did last week. They had me tell them how much she pooped last week, and they said it's not nearly enough. Apparently from the looks of her xray, she needs to poop out so much that it clogs up the toilet and/or enough to have to flush the toilet twice each time for a few days. We were nowhere near that level, and I had no gage as to how much she needs to poo.

Currently she's not going at all. And last night she started throwing up.

Coincidentally, as of yesterday she wanted to be "a baby". So I went along with it. Baby food, bottle, sleeping in the crib, etc. So she's only had soft food, which is good. I gave her Gerber prunes twice. Still no poop.

This am she threw up her breakfast, followed by throwing up just water three times. She's had three baths. I called Childrens Hospital again. They said to stop the laxatives, suppositories, and oral intake. And get her immediately to my PCP for an xray and surgery consult.

Off I go on another poop adventure. I shudder to think of how they operate to get out impacted poo.

5 comments:

Diana said...

Wow. I'm praying all goes well for her and you. Keep us posted!!

That's a HUGE step for her to want to be a baby, though. She's likely also not wanting to be "a" baby, but rather "your" baby. :-) It is such a blessing. It's been hard, but we're SO glad we went through the whole regression thing with our little one. It has made a world of difference and we've seen a tremedous amount of emotional progress with both boys.

My best advise is do it, keep at it long after she's ready to be done, you be the one that controls the "game", and take it really slow and careful. They do progress through the stages pretty fast, but keep her as little as you can as long as you can and only let her progress in tiny little increments...after she's been a little baby for about a week or so. Make sure she crawls or scoots only (no walking) for several days as well.

The crib went bye-bye at our house today, BTW.

Carly said...

my thoughts & prayers are with you... take care

jennifaye said...

Oh that is such a shame. Praying here.

We had one with this problem only not to the point of it becoming a medical issue. It was an issue though and could not be flushed. I had to give him mineral oil and he seemed to outgrow it to a great extent.

Anyway, I will be praying and waiting to hear how she does.

jen

MyGirlElena said...

Wow!! All those laxatives and no poop!?! She must have had a major stomach ache. It's no wonder she was throwing up. Hope it's good news at the doctor today.

Chelley said...

oh I am hoping and praying that it isnt anything MAJOR!!

big big big hug coming your way! And prayers as well!