Saturday, January 19, 2008

It's a Miracle

The first couple days on this laxative were hell for our daughter. The first day left her with severe gas, and a belly bloated like a starving Ethiopian child. Day two (yesterday) left her on the toilet most of the day, even while we were at preschool. Last night after the "flood" came out from within her, a new child emerged. A miracle has happened. Or at least I feel that way. And my family seconds that vote. Including our 4yr old.

Last night, our 4yr old said she has always been in pain, as long as she can remember. She described it as "feeling like she had to throw up", belly hurting, back hurting. Always. Yesterday she was pain-free for the first time in her memory. She is a loving, hugging, running, dancing, affectionate, laughing, giggling, silly little 4yr old girl. She went to bed last night saying she wants to change her name. She legally has two middle names, and now she would like that to be her first & middle name. At birth she was named "x" "yz". Now she wants to be known as "y" for her first name, with "z" as her middle name. She says she hates that "x" person and doesn't want to be that person anymore. So we are calling her "y", although it's hard to remember.

She is loving being a new person. And we can tell.

I went to bed crying last night. Tears of joy. Pure Joy.

As an added perk, she has gone from the girl having trouble attaching to me, to the girl who thinks I'm the miracle worker for taking her to the hospital. She is on me like white on rice. And I'm loving every minute of it.

I'm off to make Gingersnap cookies with her. This is something special on her new diet. An approved snack.

Have a great weekend everyone!

13 comments:

Kristan and Mark said...

That's incredible!! I hope you all have a great weekend and that she continues to feel better! How wonderful that she relates her positive feelings to you!!

Don and Be said...

Thank God! That has to be such a relief....and it's not even the first time that I prayed for a bowel movement...for someone else!
I am so glad to hear that the attachment issue is being resolved so positively. We'll be keeping you in thought and prayer.
Don

Chelley said...

I really hope that she continues to feel better...

I from my own kids pooping I know that you can see the the change in them when they are really empty!

I found it hard to find the balance from too much to not enough!

Whatshername's Mummy said...

I am so pleased for you. Delighted she's pain free and that she sees you as providing the cure - great for attachment.
I hope that the cooking was fun and the cookies a lovely reward for all of you!
Hugs,
Kate

Lauri said...

Bless her little heart... I can only imagine what type of comfort & relief she must be feeling now


here is to more good news soon

Lauri

Laura said...

What a blessing!! I am so happy for all of you!! My prayers are with you for continued healing of y's lost little soul.

Laura

Annie said...

Wow. I'm really glad I stopped to "update". I am so pleased for you. Though, it occurred to me that perhaps the "obsession" with the bowels - whenever it was - 17th century, I think - was perhaps not off the mark by that much.

Diana said...

What a beautiful blessing! I pray they'll continue for you and your family!!

Just Me said...

I'm so happy for both of you!!!

Melissa said...

what wonderful news. i hope the good behavior continues. I know I still need to call you. Now I just have to find your phone number again.

Wendy said...

Awesome!!! I am covered in goose bumps thinking about her having her first ever pain-free day. I wonder if some of her evaluations would come out differently now.

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling this "poop thing" was causing some of her difficult behavior. I am sure that it gives you a whole new outlook on life and dealing with her challenges!

Are you okay with her changing her name? You had mentioned before that her name was rather strange...is "y" something you can deal with??? Is it better than the "x"? It amazes me that she said that she "hates that "x" person..." It sounds like she is wanting a {well deserved} fresh start on life!

Carly said...

wow...good luck with these new treatments

found you from Worst Mama (I know Emmay in real life, her girls are beautiful)