Friday, January 11, 2008

Diarrhea, Evaluations, and Appointments

Seriously, why does a kid have to get diarrhea a week into potty training? Our 2yr old had diarrhea about 15 times yesterday. This involved three baths, washing the potty chair countless times in the tub, washing/mopping my floor, and I don't know how many changes of panties and clothes. The kid cried most of the day, which totally frazzled my nerves.

The PCIT teacher came today. She was surprised to hear that there is really no positive difference in our 4yr old's day and behavior (and that she's more difficult than ever), now that we are doing Play Therapy once a day. Our daughter loves the play therapy, but the rest of her day is really hard. The teacher said the kids that this doesn't help are the kids with severe problems, like autism. She is actually wondering if our 4yr old has some sort of autism, in the spectrum somewhere. Wonderful.

Also the PCIT teacher said she has read the girls entire files. She thinks it's unconscionable that they were labeled as "perfect, normal, healthy" children. Just reading their background alone would guarantee children riddled with problems & health issues. There is one eval of our 4yr old from sometime last year while she was a foster child. The eval says she is "normal & healthy". Well, the PCIT teacher said either the evaluator didn't even meet with our 4yr old, or didn't talk to her. The teacher states that from her 4 times here, she can see huge red flags with this child. She thinks the state should have separated the girls, putting our 4yr old in a home where she is an only child. The 2yr old is pretty much green lights, and probably would have done well anywhere, as she has done really well in all her placements. Soooooooooo, the teacher says we need an F-CAP testing for the 4yr old. What is F-CAP testing????? She said the state will probably get really mad at us for figuring out that this child is in dire need of help, and advocating for her services. It's the state's job to place these children in adoptive homes for as cheap as possible, and to close the deal. She said the state may take both girls from us because that would be easier for them than paying for evals and ending up with diagnosis's on the 4yr olds record. Sigh.

We got referrals into Children's Hospital. The psych dept is calling me momentarily to set up the appt (roughly 3 months from now). After that we can get the Neuro/developmental/cognitive eval. Children's doesn't have an enuresis/encoprisis clinic any longer. The only place in the state is the clinic that won't take Medicaid. I'm rolling my eyes. And the SW won't authorize payment.

Our daughter's counselor may be able to get her the psych eval quicker thru someone at her office. So I'm waiting to see if that can take place.

Additionally, I'm waiting for the school district preschool and EACAP preschool to each get back with me. Yesterday I spoke with the school district preschool, and they said they will reevaluate our daughter for language, cognitive, therapies, etc. All they need is for the counselor to fax over her records. Fine by me. So that is all in the works too.

Today I tried to take the girls clothes shopping. The 4yr old is on a leash, as she's been every day this last week. So she is generally a pill, and is trying to punish me. She says she doesn't love me, doesn't want to be near me, she tries to run away from me while she's ON the leash, etc. And she didn't really like any of the clothes we looked at. Well, that made it easy. I didn't buy her many. She doesn't wear clothes I buy if she has decided she doesn't like them. Guess that will be cheap for now. She commented that I was buying SOOOOOOOO many clothes for her younger sister. Well, how am I supposed to buy her clothes when she says she hates them all (nearly)? So I think she will do well with a minimum of clothing until she can state her preferences. I've bought her many clothes before, all sorts of fabrics, varieties, etc., and she doesn't wear most of them.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

MyGirlElena said...

I love that you keep your sense of humor throughout all of this.
At least you're moving in the right direction with the school district, but I am horrified at what the state dep't for children's services has to say.
And taking the girls away from you now...Do you have a say in that?
I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!!

Melissa said...

oh I hope you get some respite from this behavior soon. I wish I had advice for you. Can they really take the girls back?

Anonymous said...

You are going through so much and I cannot even begin to imagine how emotionally draining this must be for you.