Thursday, January 17, 2008

Poopsicle

This is a post about poop. If you can't stomach that, please come back in a day or two and there will be something new for you to read.

I spent an 8hr round trip with our 4yr old yesterday on a trip to Children's Hospital Urology. I've had this appt since September to see if we can help her in the peeing/pooping area of her life.

She did a urine sample (in a "hat" in the toilet). Then an ultra sound, which showed she still has 4oz of urine left in her bladder after she goes to the bathroom. We then saw a 20 minute Power Point presentation on pee/poop (fun). Our 4yr old then cried. She said she hates this place because they talk about her peeing. We then moved onto the doctor appt. They interviewed me about her health, background, peeing/pooping issues. Off to radiology we went to get an Xray of her stomach. Then back to the doctor's office. The Xray showed from her colon to her stomach, she is severely constipated. It is so severe it has stretched out her upper and lower intestines to the point where they are not moving poop. She is so full of poop, her bowels are pressing on her bladder and spine, giving her pain in her back.

This is called encopresis.

When she moved in, I knew she had been constipated living with the foster parents. So I immediately put her on a high fiber diet. Within 24 hrs she was pooping every day or two, and has been ever since. So I erroneously thought she wasn't constipated any more. Apparently, her body only signals that she is "full", and she poops until that full feeling is gone. Same for peeing. She doesn't empty out the rest.

So, to make a long story short, I pressed them on why she would have this condition, especially at such a young age. After they danced around it a while and avoided my question, I kept pressing to know why so that we can deal with this and keep it from happening again. Finally they asked me if she has had a neuro eval. I said no, but I've been working on that referral all week. They said they want her to have a neuro eval because they feel she has encopresis due to either developmental delay and/or a brain problem where her brain isn't signaling her to pee/poop. I told them Friday the neuro dept is giving me our appt date. They want the results of the neuro before urology sees her again in three months.

We have to give her an even higher "high fiber" diet, which includes many drinks & foods that she cannot have, and many drinks foods we have to add. Also she is on an extremely high dose laxative for 48 hours, then she will be on a regular dose of this laxative for a year or more. Urology wants to see her every three months for at least a year, since the state SW's DSHS office won't pay for her to go to the Encopresis Clinic.

After she is pooping soft poop at least once a day regularly, then her intestines can start to heal. They said too that once her bowels aren't pressing on her bladder, that should help with the peeing/wetting issues.

In addition to the special diet, we have to put her on a peeing/pooping schedule. Called '2-2-2', for every two hours she sits on the toilet two minutes and has to pee twice in that two minutes. This is to get her to learn to empty her bladder before she feels full, and to teach her to fully empty her bladder each time. Additionally we have to put her on the toilet every morning for 10-20 minutes for mandatory pooping time.

What fun.

We have to log (no pun intended) her peeing and pooping.

I've been given a list of websites to check out, a urology folder, and a list of books I'm supposed to read. I'll keep you posted on that after I check out the books and websites.

On a positive note, our daughter has been accepted to EACAP preschool and will start in the pm class in a couple weeks. The preschool rep will visit our home next week to assess our daughter and interview me. This pm preschool will completely interfere with nap time, little sister too. Little sister will get a very short nap, and big sister will get none. Both girls usually take a 2.5-3hr nap. To help combat this I will be putting them to bed 60-90 minutes earlier each night. I've never put kids to bed at 7pm on a regular basis, but maybe this will work well. If the girls are just too crabby, I'll pull her out of pm preschool and wait for an opening in the am class.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

holy crap. that is a sh*t load of information to take in. Poor thing is all stopped up. What do they feel is causing the constipation? Could it be nerves or anxiety?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, does that sound familiar. My son Jared, had MAJOR toilet isues when he was small. He (at age 6) ended up having an MRI, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc... He too was major constipated like that. In fact, it was so bad that the urologist couldn't see his spine in the first x-ray. He gave us a perscription laxitive to "clear him out". This showed that he had Spina bifida occulta, which is a missing vertabra... The pediatric neurosurgeoun said that the missing vertibrea caused the cord to become "tethered". So he had to have a surgery to untether the cord... (since the spinal cord was getting stretched, he was losing sensations in the lower half of his body, so he didn't know when he had to go until it was too late...) Until then we had to give him a suppository every night to get him to poop, and that stopped the messing in his pants... After the surgery he was back in undies full time (we kept him in pullups 24/7 before that), but Dr. Webey said that it could take a long time for his bowels to get strong again, because they were so stretched out. (When constipated, he had hard poop the size of a grapefruit in there, poor kid... He was still going all the time, so I had no idea he was constipated...)

Anyway, you may want to look into the tethered cord thing, because the stories sound so much alike! (our niece had the same problem years before Jared, so we discovered it a little sooner than they did...)

Julie

P.S. here is my Email, in case you have any questions:
junglemomX4@gmail.com

P.S.S. Oh, the tethered cord was also what was causing the severe constipation...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds so difficult to deal with, especially if a child is strong-willed and decides they wish to keep control of this area of their life. I do hope this all goes well for mom and little one. I cannot even imagine.

Anonymous said...

Wow... I am sure that the pain of not being able to "go" and being all "backed up" is a big part of what makes her unreasonable at times! WHY OH WHY are YOU the only one to get these issues checked out? She's freakin' 4 years old...you'd think someone would have gotten her some help by now.

Your daughter will be so grateful to you and your husband someday for caring enough to step up!!!

I am just shaking my head in disbelief...how can so much have gone undetected? And why in the hell would social services NOT pay for her medical care??? If your birth children needed help and you didn't get it for them, the state would probably try and take them away. I just don't get it.

Hang in there...on the bright side, you're bound to lose some of those 45 pounds with all the stress! :) {HUGS}

Wendy said...

I have close friends whose son has a similar issue. It began during early potty training when a poop hurt and he began with-holding. As time went on and he became severely constipated, he lost sensation and muscle control in his bowels. The backed up poop also pressed on his bladder and he couldn't empty it all the way and he got several urinary tract infections too. Once they started to figure it out and un-do the damage, things began to get better. Now at the age of 9 he is still on laxatives, a high-fiber diet and a strict pooping schedule, but that is unusual. It even stunted his growth. I am hoping and praying it is nothing more serious than a withholding issue. It certainly fits with her strong-willed personality and desire for control.

Kristan and Mark said...

Hey,
early bedtimes work great. My 15 month old goes to bed at 7 which gives me time with my boys. Until this year, both the boys went to bed at 7:30. This year it is 8.

I only had a second so I scanned the post so now I need to go back and read the rest.

Chelley said...

That is a of information to take in. And put into pratice! But glad that you are getting some answers!! And hopefully have all your answers after the nuro appt!

poo probs just stink!

At one point no matter what we gave Tiarna she would hold and hold and hold until there was no more holding and then 30 mins on the toilet trying to push!

one time it was the size length and wierth of a coke can!

Lauri said...

Yikes... who knew that a child could go everyday and still have those types of issues. Goodness, I once had a girl in my preschool class who had such serious issues she drank some type of heavy Oil each day... Blech

Metaphysically speaking holding on to it speaks volumes of her emotional state.



we have come full circle with our poop issues ... from constant ( 10 + runny diapers a day from the parastites, to holding on to it and things getting " stuck" and needing assistance.


Keep us posted on the high fiber diet.

Don and Be said...

Esther,
We are on the SN referral list with our agency and your posts are eye openers for us. We need to be ready for just about anything when Joanna Mei arrives. Thank you for your vulnerability in your posts on this site. We'll keep following along and remember your crew in our prayers.
Don & Be

Tereasa said...

Fascinating! Our daughter has a very similar issue. Throughout the adoption process,no one ever mentioned to me that she was constipated all the time.

Later, I looked back to an appointment we went to with her and her foster mom. The poor girl worked and worked on a poo and smelled up the whole room. I remember saying, "Oh my, she is working hard in her diaper!" Foster mom just laughed and never changed her diaper. I checked her diaper myself after the appointment and there was no poo at all.

After our daughter had been with us for a couple weeks, I figured out she was constipated most of the time. I recalled this appointment and thought, "Why wasn't this ever mentioned?" I have asked myself that many times since.

I talked to two doctors about it who both said to give her more fiber, mineral oil, etc. Duh! Didn't they think I'd tried that? I finally found someone to take me seriously. She has put our daughter on a long regimen of laxatives. She too explained to me that the constipation was caused by her developmental delays, which we were already aware of.

The laxatives scare me, but it has been a good experience for us. Having her "poop" needs cared for has helped in our daughter's attachment.

I would be really interested in looking at the websites you were given!

Sorry about the novel. I can just soooooo relate!