Thursday, January 10, 2008

Great Questions

Thank you commenters for leaving such great questions!! I'll answer a couple:

In our state, Medicaid does not cover everything, and/or "everywhere" in our state that provides medical care doesn't have to accept Medicaid. Case in point, there is only one enuresis/encopresis clinic in our state. Fortunately for me, it's only about 45 minutes from my home. Unfortunately, they refuse to take any variety of Medicaid. So I spoke with our SW the other day, because I was informed that the state is required to pay for that cost out of pocket if Medicaid will not pay up. What did my SW say? He said his office will not pay at this time. What the hell? Personally, I'm too tired to sue DSHS over this. And another way to compensate for these types of treatments HAS to be found before we finalize the adoption. And to expand further, once your child gets certain diagnosis(es), they fall into certain categories, classifications, etc., for health care treatment. Some diagnosis(es) are put into categories that Medicaid doesn't cover.

On the preschool, a couple of people have approached me with the info in the last 24hrs that our 4yr old has a right to preschool, even with just the fact that she's a ward of the state. So, I'm going to push harder on that one with our school district. I need to make the phone call today. Personally, I think the kindergarten intake testing she had done was really lame. All the hallmarks they tested her on, a healthy 2yr old could master and display. Again, pretty lame. I think it gets back to under staffing, and low budgets. I feel for them all, but I have to advocate for my child.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, nothing with the school system is easy either...you are going to have to fight them every step of the way to get what you want. My son "only" had dyslexia and they don't "recognize" dyslexia as a disability in our school system. They classified him as special ed, had nothing to help him, yet determined that after one semester that he was "cured." Therefore...we homeschool. I am so sorry you are going through all of this...I feel like you have been betrayed...My prayers are with you. {HUGS}

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she got the right Mom for her needs. I am terrible about those things, and would easily be bullied by the state.

Hope they cover everthing!

Julie

Melissa said...

wouldnt she be eligible for preschool handicapped/disabilities class just by being tested?