Thursday, January 24, 2008

A New Day and Half a Pig

Today our 4yr old woke up, went into the bathroom and sounded like she was vomiting. Lots of noise and coughing. I went to check on her and was met with "Want to see my fart?" Well, you can't see a fart. I told her I would come look. She said "It's THIS huge!" I'm wondering if she's being really imaginative. She showed me a huge pile of poo in the toilet. She looked up in delight and said, "Now I get to play in the family room". I smiled and told her good job on the poo (not a fart apparently, although, could have been a fart as well) and said "yes, you get to play in the family room".

BINGO! Yes, she does now get to play with her toys in the family room. Hopefully the art of holding toys/activities/treats over her head will keep her inspired to poo. Also, hopefully the deterrent of knowing she has to have an enema if she doesn't poo, will motivate her permanently as well.

I'm not holding my breath. Everyone has told me this is not a quick fix, but a long term learning process for her. Let's hope she is on the road to wellness.

Her preschool teacher is coming over today to meet her. I decided to start her next Tuesday instead of today, in light of all the energy that went into yesterday's antics. We are all looking forward to meeting her teacher.

Last week I booked her a neurological appt at Childrens Hospital. Her appt is in April. It will consist of an hour with an OT, an hour doing a Peabody Test (developmental testing), and an appt with a neurologist. I'm looking forward to the insight this appt will bring. After I found out all about it, I got the ball rolling for a referral for her 2yr old sister. Can't hurt. She has had some minor delays, nothing as profound as her sister. With that though, they have the same genetics, environmental history, etc. She has had a speech delay. If she is found to have anymore going on than that in delays, she will qualify for therapy and ECEAP (this fall). So that will all be really helpful. Early intervention is great!

You may be wondering what the Pig is doing in today's post title. Well, the girls and I had lunch with a friend. She offered to sell me half of one of her pigs when they go to slaughter. I said "Heck Ya!" It will go well with the half a COW my husband purchased last month. He sprung that on me with no warning. Several years ago, we bought 1/4 a cow every year for the cooking meat. Great deal and outstanding quality meat. $2/lb for anything you bought. Where else can you get T-Bone steak for $2/lb? Nowhere. So, we went to bed one night about a month ago, and were drifting off to sleep, when my husband pipes up with "Today I bought half a cow.", like he bought a kite or something. Half a cow? Do you realize how many pounds of meat that is? About 400 pounds of meat.

So the pig will go nicely with the beef in the freezer. We'll be getting about 100 pounds of pig. I better get to emptying out that freezer now..................

2 comments:

Chelley said...

yay for poop!!

I think you are right in what you are saying and really life and kids are a try and try again!! And if that doesnt work try something else!!!

hugz I am so glad that she didnt have to have an operation!!!

Chelley said...

your blog has been awarded with an award for having a blog that has a purpose.....

check out

http://chelleyau.blogspot.com/2008/01/ive-been-honoured-thanks.html