Friday, February 8, 2008

Things Could Be Looking Up..........

I'm almost afraid to say it. I think things are looking up.

Our 4yr old started daycare yesterday, and loved it. A little boy ran up to her right away wanting to play legos. So cute!! She had a good time with him until he pushed and scratched her. The daycare gave her a bandaid, which completely cheered her up. And naughty boy got the time out chair.

Two days ago, our oldest son broke a tooth at wrestling practice. He got thrown into someone's knee, face first. And they think it's fun? Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Actually I really love wrestling. Brings back good memories. One of my friends and I were "wrestling managers" after school my sophomore year in highschool. We were glorified water girls. But it was alot of fun, and some really cute guys asked us out. I mean, Some REALLY cute wrestlers asked us out. The three nicest guys I ever dated were all wrestlers. Two from highschool, and my husband. Sadly after I dated the two wrestlers, I only seemed to get asked out by idiots or jerks. Finally my husband came along (thank God). Anyway.............

I took the boy up to get his tooth fixed after I dropped off the 4yr old at daycare. The daycare calls to tell me the school only transports TO school. Sigh. Wouldn't that have been important information to know ahead of time? Fortuneately I had enough time to pick her up from school (barely). So her daycare will be T/Th 8am-noon. She will still go to school M-Th, and get a bus TO school every day, from our house and from daycare. What a huge blessing! Now I can save 40 minutes on the road, and little sister gets a decent nap.

Our 4yr old loves school and daycare. Both places give her the required amount of water, and let her go to the bathroom alot. She has kept dry pants at school, home, and daycare the last two days. I'm afraid to get my hopes up. She's stayed dry 9 days in a row before, then started wetting again. So we'll see.

In other big news, our 4yr old got invited to a birthday party. She is so excited. One of her friends from preschool invited her. This is the first birthday party she's EVER gotten invited to. So, a SUPER big deal for her. I called and RSVP'd today. In her previous life I don't think her bio family is the sort that associated with people who had nice little birthday parties. Sigh. After being taken from her family, she moved so often, she didn't have time to make friends anywhere. I'm so thrilled for our kids, all five of them, that they live with a family that is stable, we can have company over, and our kids live long enough in one place to make friends & get invited to parties.

Last night I took our 12yr old to a wrestling clinic at the highschool, after he got a mouthguard. Telling us to get a mouthguard a day or two earlier would have been helpful. Anyway, the wrestling coach at this clinic was great. He is a state champ, has a son who is a state champ (& currently in the top 20 college wrestlers in our nation), and he's coached more state champs and champion teams than anyone in our state. That's pretty good considering the coach at the highschool I graduated from is still the coach there, and they have about the best stats in the state (in the 80's thru today). He told the middle schoolers he was really proud of them for going to this gig (there were about 30+ 7th/8th graders from our district in attendance), and he was really motivational. They all worked on technique for about an hour, then he gave an inspirational speech for about 30 minutes. Basically he told the kids that you can start wrestling in middle school, continue with that & other sports to keep fit, and be a state champ, or whatever your heart desires. He also made the point that kids who smoke dope are stupid, and they don't make it very far in life. Partying hard won't get you anywhere other than being labeled as a Stoner (or Drunk). He really gave the kids some great food for thought to chew on.

I started working out yesterday. My feeble attempt. I walked hard for 20 minutes. I would like to turn this into running 20+ minutes. So today I ran/walked. Tonight I'm going to offer to our 12yr old that I will run with him every day if he likes. It will be great training for him, and help me lose weight.

And I've lost 9 pounds since Christmas. I need to figure out how to update my weight tracker in the sidebar, without having to recreate the wheel every time.

In even more good news, one of the teachers for our daughter told me to call Childrens Hospital and get on their cancellation list. This will get the girls in sooner for their neurological & developmental exams. I called today. Low and behold there is a spot for both girls this upcoming Tuesday!! Hot damn! This is far better than waiting for April to roll around.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

my husband is a wrestler too.

things seem to be looking up for you and your family. hope they continue.

Chelley said...

first off YAY on losing weight!!! GREAT JOB!!! (I must have found it)

wooohoo about getting in at Childrens this week!!!

Now you would think that they would let you know about this themslevs!?!?!?!

Don and Be said...

Glad you may be approaching a 'level off'. It was sounding wild around your place for a while as we followed your story. We hope the trend continues.
HCNY, Esther,
Don & Be