Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stupid Woodpecker & Governor's Letter

A few years ago, we had a woodpecker in at tree by our deck. The woodpecker had a baby, and the baby was not the sharpest tool in the shed. The baby woodpecker would peck in our drainpipes & gutters. This is louder than most anything you can imagine. We could not figure out how to rid ourselves of this problem, other than to cut down the tree that was their home. We cut down the tree, and had peace. For Several years. Until a few days ago. Either the "slow" woodpecker is back, or has given birth to another "slow" baby. Sigh. I have no idea where they are living, so need to figure out how to rid my life of them.

Still have the flu. This is the worst case I've had in years. Oh well. Could be worse.

I updated my weight loss ticker. I've lost 13 pounds since Christmas. I'm pretty excited. Eat less, move more. That's my motto.

Here is a brief of what the governor's letter said:
Thanked us for contact about the girls and this situation.
Sees our letter shares the difficult and painful process we've been thru, and our dismay in DSHS.
Wrote: "There is state statutory language that encourages DSHS to try and not separate siblings, but all placement decisions hinge on what is in the best interest of each child. Siblings may be separated if one or more pose a risk to others in the sibling group."
Said DSHS may be hoping that there is a home that can meet both girls needs, while ensuring safety.
Has ordered DSHS to again review the case and answer to our family about the decisions made (laughable. I'm sure DSHS will say "we did a wonderful job. Please pat us on the back. We are saints.")
Our case has been forwarded to the state Ombudsman. They are an independent watchdog of DSHS, "investigating concerns that are raised so we can make sure that DSHS staff follow appropriate policies, procedures, and state law."

The governor thanked us for our care & concern and all we have done for these girls. The governor also thanked us for writing.

Over and out...................

2 comments:

Melissa said...

i truly hope he is not giving you the run around

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing a summary of the letter. At least it seems the girls can't just be passed on to some other unknowing folks. I really hope they both end up in good home(s).

Are you sure that's a woodpecker and not just your head pounding? Get better!

(When I was a kid my mother had a terrible sinus infection right around Easter time. My sisters were in preschool, and they had hatched baby chicks in the classroom and sent them home with the kids. All my mother could hear was that CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP reverberating through her head).