Sunday, March 30, 2008

I Wasn't Expecting to Hear THAT, and Other Happenings

I spoke with the Spa & Salon owner about having complimentary treats there. She said, "I LOVE the idea. But. (long pause). I have an eating disorder. We tried having complimentary treats, the customers loved it, but it was just too hard for me to be around the food."

OK. I really didn't know what to say to that. I'm guessing we're talking bulimia, since she doesn't look anorexic. She looks to be average weight.

So I said, "Well, I could bring treats on Saturdays, the day you will not be there."
She loved the idea. She said to go for it.
I will only bring food that can be eaten without utensils or plate, like Starbucks. Getting into utensils & plates is too much money and trash/washing.

In other news, my husband told me yesterday he wants to move! WHAT?????????????? We really love the kids school district, so feel we want to lock into that geography for now, we are on several acres in the woods, in a 3000+ sq ft custom built home. There are million dollar homes in on our street. Make a long story short, we have a ton of equity in our home, so he thinks we could sell it, move into a slightly less upscale neighborhood than we are currently in, and be debt-free. That is of course hugely appealing. We looked at house plans for a new development going in about ten minutes from us. Gorgeous houses. Only drawback in my opinion is the lots are 4800 sq ft. Where will the kids party, play ball, have camp outs? I guess elsewhere, indoors, etc. This morning we woke up and I asked my husband "So what are your top three reasons for wanting to move?"
He said: "To be debt-free, as in NO MORTGAGE"
I said: "Why don't we just stay here, and I can get a job as a substitute school district Educational Assistant?"
A little background, our school district went to a policy that all the EA's have to have a college degree, about 2.5 yrs ago. There was a 2yr grace period for employees who want to keep their jobs, to get an AA. Immediately. So, they lost many EA's, and substitute EA's. I have a friend who is a sub EA, and she gets called almost every day to work. She can work all week, or a day or two. Totally her call. This appeals to me. I could work 1-2 days a week at this sub EA job, and ALWAYS have my time with my kids.

I could have the 2 part time jobs, work no more than 4 shifts a week (between both jobs), and we'd have more money to pay off debt quicker. I'm liking this idea. Alot.

1 comment:

MyGirlElena said...

If subs had benefits, I would be doing that. Because I'm a single mom, I can't. But I say, go for it!!! You will get paid well. The hours are great and you work when you want to, really.
Good luck!!