Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cheaters and Dr. Laura

Lauri posted over here (clickable) about the governor getting caught (clickable) in the sex ring of hookers. He resigned yesterday. Lauri asked about our feelings on cheaters. There's alot of good stuff over there on her blog.

This got me to thinking yesterday, Dr. Laura made a statement I really detest about this. Sorry I don't have the exact quote, but Whoopi Goldberg quoted Dr. Laura yesterday on The View. Please read my following comment to Lauri, which includes my disgust with Dr. Laura. What do YOU think?

I wrote:
"Glad you posted about this. I have two schools of thought. Forgive? Move on? Depends.If my husband came to me and admitted he'd been cheating, wanted help, counseling, whatnot, I would consider keeping him. Only consider it.If I caught him in the act, I would have a hard time not hitting him, burning his clothes, wrecking his car, and transferring all our money to a private account of my own. And then promptly spending all that money.Cheaters make me sick. I've never cheated on my husband, and he's never cheated on me. In my opinion, a relationship has some pretty steep troubles, or as other posters commented, a different personal style, if they are cheating. Not one that I want in my bed though.......I really want to deck Dr. Laura. I may have to post on this. Did you know, on The View, they quoted Dr. Laura as stating this was the governor's wife's fault? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh!!Dr. Laura says that after several years of a steely relationship where the man is turned away, this is what the woman has pushed him to (my paraphrase). I always loathed Dr. Laura. OK, that decides it. I'm posting about this."

Here is Dr. Laura's blog (clickable) entry about the event, so you can see for yourself. The part I don't agree with is her quote: “Men need validation. When they come into the world they are born of women and getting their validation from mommy is the beginning of needing it from a woman. And when the wife does not focus in on the needs and the feelings, sexually, personally to make him feel like a man, to make him feel like a success, to make him feel like a hero, he’s very susceptible to the charms of some other woman making him feel what he needs. And these days women don’t spend a lot of time thinking about how they can give a man what they need.”

Personally, I feel we are all responsible for our self. I don't sit around, waiting for my husband to make me feel good, ergo, leaving me less likely to cheat. I think that is crap. We are all responsible for our own feelings, relationships, and behavior. Of course it's most helpful that I have a loving, caring, responsible husband who adores me. That is a big plus. However, if I were married to a loser, I'd either fix it, fix myself, separate, or divorce. I would not cheat. The person who has to live with that is the cheater. Not for me. No way.

Hmmmmmmm, how about that Dr. Laura? I will say I think Dr. Laura is probably a really great ethical gal. However, she totally offended me when she had her own tv talk show. The final straw was when a couple with young children came to her, saying they were exhausted, needed a break, and wanted to keep their marriage strong. What was her solution? "Buck up. They are YOUR kids. What were you expecting!! Take care of your own kids." Um, heartless? I think a more appropriate response would have been "good for you for wanting to take care of yourself, your family, children, and marriage. Let's discuss some ways all your needs could be met and for you to feel more rested." Again, I've never listened to Dr. Laura since then. It's been wonderful.

No comments: