Thursday, June 19, 2008

Maybe I Will Go Into Jam Production, after Today's Interview Testing

Good Grief. Today I went in for the 2 hr computer skills testing that the Principal's assistant position requires. Ah, a tad more than computer skills. Geez.

It was probably just under 1/2 secretarial skills, and a little over 1/2 accounting skills. Now, this job, mind you, said it only requires a high school diploma. Well, a person with only a high school diploma would have left 10 minutes into the test.

I've never done a mail merge. I at least tried to complete it following the steps. Something didn't go right. So I didn't turn it in.
I'm not good at looking for software that's not on the computer, software which I need to make a flier.

OK then. But I am good at research, spreadsheets, accounts payable, HR, budgeting, making executive decisions, corporate stuff. So, I passed those sections well.

I told my family you had to have an accounting degree to get the accounting/corporate stuff done on that test, that they served up.

As I turned my work in, I said, "I'm smart. After someone has shown me once how to do something once, I can perform it always and forever. I have never done a mail merge or created a flier. I'm an accountant, so, I do have lots of skills. Hopefully you give me a call to interview for other positions."

We'll see. I would be highly surprised if they call me back for this position.

The good news is, I now have experience with the school district testing scenario. You have to interview and test for every position (ugh.). Not to mention turn in enough paperwork on yourself to end up with national security clearance. Good thing I learned thru adoption how to get all that turned in, ASAP.

Next time (hopefully there is a next time) I go in for testing, I will leave anything I've never seen before, for the end of my time allotted.

And since when does the principal's assistant make mail merges & fliers? There are already multiple secretaries on staff...........
Oh well. What do I know.

2 comments:

MyGirlElena said...

Yes, applying for jobs in schools is a pain! You probably had the principal, AP, math coach and reading coach interview you. That's a pain too. When there are so many people, one of them is bound not to like you. Sigh!!! That's life I guess. I really do hope you get the job, though. I'm sure you're not the only one who was unable to complete all parts of the test.
Good luck!

Lauri said...

Yikes... sounds tough

I had a similar testing once for the county, my issue was with typing. I can type really fast,but they wanted me to type something pre-written and It slowed me down. I never got that job