Thursday, June 12, 2008

Creative or Careless~~You Decide


The strike is over. The boys cleaned the house for hours on Friday, and weeded all day Saturday & Sunday. If we paid people to do that, we'd have to pay a couple hundred dollars. Nuff Said.

A few weeks ago, I found our oldest son rummaging thru my van. When asked what he was doing he said, "nothing."

Ya, sure. I told him to get out of my van.

Two days ago I went out to the van to get a piece of gum. I always carry breath freshening items, Tylenol, and a few various and sundry products in the car. The gum was gone. There were two full packs last I checked. The oldest boy admitted to lying to me a few weeks ago & stealing the gum.

So the boy owed me for the gum. But the frustrating thing is, it's not enough to me to just get reimbursed. Isn't this stealing, when I've said my van (& what's in it) are off-limits? I feel it's stealing. And the boys have always known this. We've been thru this dog & pony show too many times before. And I'm tired of being on the poop patrol.

If you steal candy from Safeway, you have to reimburse the candy, plus pay a $100 fine. Second offense? Repay the candy, pay the $100 fine, and go to kiddie work camp in the eastern part of the state for a year. Really? yes. happened to our neighbor kid at age 14.

Our kids know this. They know this story.

So I told the boy he had to buy me new gum (his problem as to how he got his hands on some), pay me a fine (he could volunteer an amount).

Yesterday he comes home from school and plops two packs of the gum on my desk. When asked where he got it, he said "the store." How would that be? "Well, our school bus drives by a store a couple times on the route. I told the bus driver I made some poor choices, stole your gum, and asked to be dropped off at the store. She picked me up on the way back." He looked pleased as punch.

I was rather shocked that the middle school bus driver would just drop him off, willy nilly. This is a school district where you have to have written permission to alter your bus route, bus you are taking, or to even be the parent picking up your child at an undesignated time. Seriously, one time I went to school to pick up the boys for a surprise visit to the orthodontist, and the school would not release them because the boys were taking the state standardized testing at that moment. Uh, last time I checked, I'm the boys legal guardian, mother, and I'm the one in charge. But that's another story.

Back to the gum-lifter. I told him I give him an A for creativity and solving the problem. I'm more than a tad shocked that the school bus driver would drop him off, go drive around, and pick him up a while later at a store. Careless? Legal?

4 comments:

Kerry said...

True?

Deb said...

I'm thinking illegal. I would call the school for sure.

Melissa said...

I dont know how much I believe his story. I would ask the bus driver because they can get fired for doing things like that. If something had happened to your kid while off the bus, he would be responsible. I doubt he let your son off and picked him up later. I am sure the bus driver had much better things to do than wait around for your son.

Don and Be said...

Hhhhmmmm.....