Friday, April 18, 2008

Giving Back

I'm still in the process of looking for a job. I applied yesterday to a corporation that is hiring 4 coordinators for various programs. Hopefully I'll hear something back. I highly respect this corporation, and they have a good reputation. They've been around for about 100 years, so I know they are a stable to company to work for.

On giving back: my husband had a great idea for me. Since I like to cook so much, and I'm a giver, nurturer, he told me there is a Battered Women's Shelter in a local area that I could volunteer at. I'd never heard of this one, so I'm really interested. I could cook and donate baked goods once a week (or something). I'd be happy to keep women company, help in any way, and give back to the community. I do have personal experience with this as well, being that I lived in a ridiculously abusive home growing up. We finally got out. It was extremely hard. We had to wait for a night where my dad just didn't come home. We left in the middle of the night, packing and moving all thru the night. My dad came home as we were making our final trip out the door. He had been bar hopping all night, and made this absurd scene in the front yard crying, screaming, and swinging his arms around at my mom, as we were trying to leave. Fortunately there were a couple families from church there helping us move, and they got us out of there safely. This topic really touches me to the core, and I would like to help at a place like this, helping women help themselves.

Other than that, nothing too exciting around here is going on. The weather is driving me crazy! It snowed a couple weeks ago, and was in the upper 80's last weekend. Fortunately we got a ton of yard work done in that nice weather, seeing as it's snowing buckets today. ARGH! what on earth is up with the Pacific Northwest weather? I'm ready for spring!!!



To entertain myself lately, I've been looking at sewing & cross stitch blogs. If you know of any favorite sewing, cross stitch, scrapping blogs, please forward them to me. I love crafts.

On a final note, I decided to cease contact with the girls foster parents. We have been in touch via email regularly. Until this week, they were really nice. Then this week they were dishonest with me, and I really don't need that crap in my life. Too bad for them and the girls; we would have been happy to have been a resource for all of them down the road. I had to come to the place where I saw that staying in contact was giving me more grief and anxiety than what it was worth. They are on their own now. As for us, the governors office & the state head of DSHS are in regular contact with us about the investigation against the girls SW & that DSHS office. So I may receive updates or info there. I really only want a geographic approximation of the girls home now, so we can avoid that area. And visa versa. My husband fears the older girl will grow up, turn 18, and try to locate us: to shoot us. She is really a dangerous disturbed child. Hopefully she will get the help she deserves, for her safety as well as those around her.

The only adventurous and exciting news I have to share is that we are taking the kids to Disney World next week, for 10 days. It should be heaven on earth. As an added bonus, Don & Be are going to try to get together with us while we are in town. Looking forward to meeting in real life with more of my favorite bloggers!!

4 comments:

MyGirlElena said...

If I didn't have to work, I would volunteer at a children's cancer treatement center.
The women's shelter sounds like a fab idea too. Your being able to relate to them will be a great thing. I'm sure those women will appreciate the baked goodies and having someone that can empathize with them.
What happened with the FP? Is it that the girls haven't really moved?
Anyhow, have a great time at Disney. Spring (actually summer) has already sprung in FL, so you will love it!!

Melissa said...

The volunteer work sounds great.

i am jealous of you going to disney though. i havent been there in 8 years.

Wendy said...

I'm so sad we missed you in DisneyWorld! The weather is awesome, the lines are short, and you are going to have a blast!!! Just be sure to use the Fasdt Pass for the the popular rides and you will skip all the lines. Have fun!!!

Diana said...

Enjoy your vacation and let the other stuff go. It's hard, but it's worth it. You don't need it anymore. It's all just baggage that won't do anything other than weigh you down.

Now how does that famous Serenity Prayer go again?

God grand me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Giving back is a fantastic way to make this happen, too. Go for it! There's nothing more healing than helping someone who's worse off than you find hope in their lives.