Friday, May 30, 2008

Tailbone, a Garden, and Haiti

A little over a month ago, I started Bowen Therapy (clickable). Initially I went in because my face has been twitching on the left side, my neck hurts (from an old car accident) and the pain in my Congenital Hip (clickable) has radiated down thru my butt, and up into my shoulder. So I felt some medical help was in order. I've done PT for years for the hip, and not had it get worse like this before. So I thought I'd try something new.

And, ta da. I love it. In addition to the above issues, the therapist discovered I broke my tailbone at some point, seeing as it's drug way off to the left. That is actually giving me the pain below my hip (sorts of a sciatic feeling).

How could I not know when I broke my tailbone? I wondered for weeks how this happened. I had severe complications with my third childbirth, so the therapist assumed it happened then. Yesterday I remembered taking a huge spill on the wet garage floor in 2003. It hurt for months. I thought it was just bruised........
That must have been when I broke it. I'm just used to sucking it up over injuries, and never even went to the doctor. Probably would have helped to see the PCP.

Bowen Therapy feels like a cross between gentle massage & chiropractic treatment. A session can run from an hour to two hours. They work on you a little, then you rest quite a while. And you go round and round like that.

I don't want to give up in defeat in trying to run. Running is so great for my keeping my depression at bay, and I like burning a large amount of calories in a short amount of time. I do not aspire to be a long distance runner. I would however like to run 20-30 minutes. Really if I could run 20 minutes, I'd be thrilled. Currently I'm up to running 13 minutes during a 40+ minute walk/run workout.

So, I'm not sure where I go with the tail bone thing. It broke & healed incorrectly. I have no idea what you do with that other than to change positions when my rear end is sore? We're dealing with alot of issues, and some of them affect others. So hopefully in the long run, it will all be much better.

And for the Garden. This year, early in May, I put in my first garden. Fruits and veggies. A 1050 sq ft garden. 30 ft x 35 ft. WOW! I'll eventually get around to posting pictures. Here's what's in it:

Row 1: raspberries & loganberries
Row 2: blueberries & marionberries
Row 3: watermelon, cantaloupe, and rhubarb
Row 4: cucumbers, large pumpkins, & zucchini
Row 5: leaf lettuce, spinach mustard, sugar pumpkins (for baked goods)
Row 6: bon lettuce, carrots, gourds
Row 7: beans (ground growing)
Row 8: strawberries (& they already have fruit!)

The next week, I wanted to add more, but was out of space. We only rototilled the 30 x 35 ft section. So I decided to add another row between rows 1 & 2. The berries have about 10-12 feet between rows, so for 2-3 years I can plant between them, as the berries are short for now.

So in what I call Row 1a I have planted tomatoes, peppers, and green onions. On the side of our house I ripped out a climbing rose bush, and added two kiwi plants (15' ones)

Today it's been three weeks. So I'm off to fertilize and thin out some plants. I have found some really great gardening books thru the library. A couple of them I like so much that I'm going to buy them used thru Amazon.

The only thing I don't like about gardening is the fact that the deer eat my rose bushes. I have tried everything known to man at this point. Human hair, soap, chemicals. Nothing works. Apparently the deer are hungry. So I've taken down a few rose bushes, and kept just the four right next to our house. The deer are afraid to be so bold as to eat off the house. Roses are my favorite (they are even in my blog header), so I decided roses will just have to be fenced. We have a fenced patio that runs the length of our home. Next year I'm starting a deck rose garden, seeing as that's the only way I'll get to enjoy it. I've seen miniature roses. Now I'm wondering if there are tree roses/shrubs that the retailers sell around here. That will be perfect for the patio next year.

Onto the Haiti topic. My husband and I discussed this trip before I signed up. After I signed up I asked him how he felt about it. He said "just don't pick up some highly unusual tropical third world virus that will take looking up someone like Dr. House at Princeton to get you well." Always has a sense of humor, eh?

No comments: