Thursday, May 8, 2008

Disney World & NASA

Disney World and NASA were great places to visit. There was so much fun to be had, and so many wonderful things to look at, I really don't know where to begin. I will say that generally speaking, Disney World exceeded our expectations. They are the epitome of Customer Service.

We thoroughly enjoyed Disney World, Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, and Hollywood Adventures. We went on a 10 day trip, and one of those days we rented a car & drove to NASA at Cape Canaveral.

I think my husband liked our hotel, the Polynesian, and the rides at the parks the best. I enjoyed all the sites and the flowers. We were there during the EPCOT flower festival. What a beauty of a time of year to go. The flowers did NOT impress my children. The kids liked the wild rides, smoothies, and ice cream the best. Actually my oldest son wants to work at NASA when he grows up, and enjoyed his time there the best. So really a worthwhile side trip.

Additionally we met up with Don & Be one evening at our hotel. We chatted for a few hours and watched the Disney fireworks, which can be seen from the beach at the hotel. Just lovely to meet them in person and lay on the beach to see the show. Somehow I forgot I was wearing the lampshade that evening (?). When the fireworks were over, I tripped on something in the sand and fell thru an Adirondack chair. How? I still haven't quite figured out. It took Don & my oldest son to pull me out of the chair for me to get out of the bars. Sheesh. And by the way, I had NOT been drinking. I just look as if I had been, sitting there in a sundress tangled in a lawn chair. Wow. We should have photographed that!

We really enjoyed the luxury of paying for an upscale version of the trip. You just can't beat the service. We dropped off our luggage at our state airport, and found it in our room in Orlando. Classy. No hassles. Our room was gorgeous, had a deck, and the housekeeping was immaculate. You also can't beat getting the monorail taking you from site to site, as you leisurely feel like riding. Just wonderful. Then there are the shuttle buses that take you around too, for free, from park to park to park. You can pick them up at your Disney Resort Hotel as well.

We prepaid for a food plan, and loved it. We got the plan where each person gets one sit-down meal, one quick meal, and one snack a day. We ate breakfast, a snack, and "linner" as we call it. Really taking the time to eat two meals a day was enough sit down time for us. Worked out well. And with the prepaid dining plan, you can use it all thru the parks, Disney Hotels, and you save 30% on the bill every meal. We enjoyed. You also save 30% in any of the "finer" stores thru the Disney Parks. Every purchase. WooHoo!!!

I really like my Disney Crocs. They are pale pink mary janes, with hot pink straps. Too cute, and they saved my feet from amputation.

The weather was perfect, Upper 80's - Low 90's. Just perfect.

We went swimming every day at our hotel. They have two pools there at the Polynesian, and they are just gorgeous.

I really can't get my mind off all the beautiful horticulture there at the Disney Parks. I saw a book on their gardening schemes, themes, and tips. I wish I'd bought it. If I ever see it again, I'm buying. This really is the most gorgeous time of year to go. The crowds were manageable as well. We went after spring break, and before it gets too hot to bear.

A few of us particularly enjoyed sleeping in!! Two days, my husband and one son who are early birds, went to the parks before 7am. If you are staying at a Disney Hotel, you can enter early and stay late (they have printed schedules of this all thru out the parks each day). The other three of us slept in, took our time, and met up with the others later. Soooooooooo nice.

We thoroughly enjoyed the parades and fireworks. That has to be my favorite part of the trip, in addition to the gardens around the grounds. We saw Fantasmic, the Disney Electric Light Parade (or whatever that's called), and each night we saw the evening fireworks show from our hotel or in the park. Just wonderful.

There's a reason it's called The Happiest Place on Earth. I'll follow up later with another post of pictures.

No comments: