Wednesday, May 14, 2008

An Open Door

Update at bottom-
And just when I thought our adoption info was zilch:

Anyone who has been reading my blogs for a couple years will remember me posting about a sibling set of four from about a year ago. There is a 6yr old girl, 4yr old boy, 3yr old girl, and 18month old girl (roughly). A friend of mine "L" was trying to adopt the girls, and was fostering to adopt. Then her SIL wrote the state and claimed L's husband J is a predator and has sexually abused children. Without investigation, the children were removed from L & J's home. The four children have been in six homes this last year, different combinations of them. The VGAL called me personally multiple times asking if we could adopt the 3 & 4yr old. We were currently in the process of accepting the referral for the girls we had, so it just wouldn't have worked out. However, I really like the VGAL, and told L to have her call me any time.

Long story short, L was contacted by the VGAL yesterday to say the three girls are being removed from yet another home. They currently are in an adoptive placement with a single 61yr old lady. That would be fine and dandy, but the 61yr old adopted twin boys several years ago and they are now 12yrs old. They both have FAS/FAE, and one of them has been physically abusing the girls. Left bruises in the shape of a hand print. So the VGAL is yanking them (thank god).

I told L we have an open door for the 6yr old. The 3&4 yr olds have some permanent problems that we do not feel equipped to deal with at this time, considering there are other children in the home. Perhaps if we had more medical info and therapy info on them we could consider having them in the home. L & J want at least the baby, if not all three girls.

A relative has stepped up saying she wants to adopt all four kids. Well, kudos to her, but she is single and has NEVER had any experience with children, let alone children with special needs. L said this relative plans to quit her job to give the children supervision, attention, love, etc. That's great and all, but I asked where the money will come in. Apparently a fiance is willing to move up the wedding date so they can be married shortly and not jeopardize this adoption situation.

I'm not holding my breath on any of it. I've learned you just never know. But again, I told L we have an open door for the 6yr old.

Please keep these children in your prayers. Frankly, I'm enjoying having the time to take care of myself these days, and our life seems to be settling in nicely. So, whether God brings any of these children into our lives or not, we are blessed.

Update:
One more item. The girls have lived in six homes this last twelve months (which I mentioned above), and the little boy has been in three homes. They have all had adoption disruptions. Very sad. Very sad indeed. However, since I've been down that road myself, I think adoption is very successful when people have alot of information and the truth about the children's past, care, needs, etc. Here are their adoption placement disruptions in the last twelve months (that I know of):
6yr old girl-3 disruptions
4yr old boy-2 disruptions
3yr old girl-4 disruptions
18month old girl-3 disruptions

......all in the last twelve months.

6 comments:

MyGirlElena said...

Adoption is getting so difficult these days (even IA).
I really hope that whatever happens is in the best interest of all 4 children.
I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying your spare time to take care of yourself these days.
You sure deserve it!

junglemama said...

I'm sorry, but it sounds as if these children have no permanancy (menaing kis in foster care). Whatever happens, I hope this is the last move for them for a very long time. It is nice of you to open your door.

Melissa said...

holy cow. poor kids.

Melissa said...

holy cow. poor kids.

Deb said...

Oh my! I will be praying.

Deb said...

Oh my! I will be praying.