Friday, July 18, 2008

Humane

updates below:
To make a long story short, our puppy became violently ill yesterday. The doctor says it's a rare condition that he's never seen (but has heard of); could be a genetic disorder, could be something she ate. They had to hydrate her, give her shots in her back, sent us home with meds & medicated dog food. If this doesn't recur, then we can deduce that she ate some garbage, something in the yard/woods (rodent), etc. If it returns, it's the genetic disorder. This is a physically highly painful illness, whether genetic or not.

The quandary? If it turns out to be the genetic illness, my husband wants to return her to the breeder. The breeder mentioned several times to bring her back if she is permanently ill. Personally, I would rather put her down than let her live a highly painful life.

Pet owners, got any suggestions?

1:22pm-just got back from the vet. They want her on a prescription diet indefinitely. Um, I just spent $39 on 4 days worth of food, while they are looking into this illness further. Hopefully I'll hear more back from them today.
I do not know how one goes about genetic testing for a dog. She has highly acidic crystals in her bladder, in lieu of urine. She feels like she has to pee every five minutes, cries, and it burns her when she does urinate a tad. So, either a poison wreaked this havoc on her system, or it's a genetic disorder. The vet wanted to figure this out by process of elimination (as of yesterday), and put her back on regular food after a day. Today he changed his mind. Sigh.
Yes, she could have eaten a frog. We live on acreage in the woods. Funny thing, she is a hunting dog by breed. Why would God makes hunting dogs that are able to get ill from wildlife?

I'm preparing myself to put her down (or have the breeder do it).

2:30pm-vet just called. They want her on the medicated diet thru at least 7/28. She will have a check up then, and they will check her bladder/urine at that point. She is supposed to have her next shot series & deworming this upcoming Monday, but they said she is too ill for those. We have to wait. I guess if the crystals are still there, we will talk about putting her down. If the crystals are gone, we can try to put her back on her puppy food she is used to (Dick Van Pattens Allergy Small Bites). If the crystals don't return, we will have deduced she ate a rodent/poison.

Another point, these doctor visits are hundreds of dollars each. To me, the life of a pet doesn't come down to the cost. However, she is only three months old. If she is too sick for vaccinations, and continues to be that ill, I think we have to put her down. Just my 2cents.

I'm sad at the thought & possibility of another loss. Let's hope she ate poison in the woods. Better than the alternative.......

5 comments:

MyGirlElena said...

Can't the vet do some sort of testing to see if it's a genetic illness?
Could she have tried eating a frog? I believe those are poisonous to dogs.
If it is an illness, I would put her down too. But I wuold let the breeder know so that he could reimburse you somehow.

Lisa said...

So sad hearing of this news... I'm praying it's just that she ate something bad for her and is fine in a few days.

Lisa said...

So sad hearing of this news... I'm praying it's just that she ate something bad for her and is fine in a few days.

MyGirlElena said...

I am hoping that she ate something she shouldn't have. It's so hard to watch a pet suffer through an illness. They do not understand what is going on. All they know is that they're miserable.

AdoptaMama said...

That makes me so sad. Your poor puppy. I hope things improve and she can go on to live a healthy life. I certainly understand what would need to be done if it's not a temporary condition, though. I'm so sorry for your family.

~Patti