Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Where's Waldo?


So, where's Esther been? all over the place..................
A couple weeks ago I went to my 20yr high school reunion. Absolutely a hoot! Nice to reconnect with folks and catch up. Fortunately I was having a good hair day. This was a gift since earlier in the day, the dog ate one of my sandals I was going to wear that night. ARGH! Fortuneatly I found another acceptable pair at the last minute. In my closet, of all places. Who knew? Maybe time to clean the closet?

My DSL line came back up the day we left town (again). After dealing with 17 employees, Verizon figured out the problem was on their end. Sigh....
The puppy saw the vet for the umpteenth time today. She is still not well on her own. Sigh. We are going "antibiotic-free" for now, to see where that leads us. If she goes down hill, the vet wants to do a surgical procedure and send some workup to a lab. That doesn't sound fun. Or cheap.
The two older boys are getting braces this week. Not fun or cheap either. We are paying upfront so we will at least get a 5% discount. I'll be grateful and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

I took the younger two boys out of town to visit a relative for four days. I managed the trailer at an RV park, all by myself. Thank you very much. We biked, BBQ'd, swam, and hit the local beaches and river. Very fun. After four days, we started out for a one hr trip to hit our second destination, where we would meet up with the rest of the family. Turned into an 8 hr trip due to a broken ferry boat. In the future I will NOT incorporate any ferry into our travel plans, if time management is a big factor. We then camped for four days as an entire family. And there is a first time for everything. I've never personally been in trouble or reprimanded on a trip, by any local employees. I went berry picking for a few hours, leaving the trusty husband & kids at the campsite. While I was gone, they were swinging in the trees. I don't know why. A park employee scolded them, said it's not allowed, or they'd have to leave. nice.

Here's another nice camping story for you. Back at family bible camp in July, after five days, I used the toilet for #1, flushed, and it over flowed. Full tank. I told my DH to come help me (we have several children, their friend, etc., with us. Seriously, he looked at me, said "whenever", and walked away. I thought about killing him. But couldn't dwell on that long, seeing as I had pee to clean. I scooped out cup full after cup full of urine and kept tossing in the dirt. Gross. And I was pissed at my DH for more than 24 hrs. Well, on this trip this last week, I awoke one morning to a strange clanking sound in the bathroom of the trailer. I asked DH what the noise was. He said "I went #2, flushed, and it over flowed. Flooded. I'm using a cup to scoop up all the poop and toss it." I have not laughed so hard to myself in I don't know how long. What goes around comes around. Payback is a bitch. I laughed so hard to myself, I just may have peed my pants a little.
Final camping thoughts. I must rethink our multi week road trip next year. The day I took the trailer down, drove for 8hrs (ferry was out for the day; I had to drive the long way around), plus put the tent trailer back up again...............
This left me beyond exhausted. I'm still having hip & sciatic pain. We will do the trip, but I will only travel a long distance where there is a shared driver (DH). I will take the kids separately by myself, to a nice long trip in, oh, Oregon. One state away. And stay there for a week or two. Quite manageable.

I deleted the knitting blog. I really don't have time for a second blog at the moment. I'll post some random craft pics over here occasionally.

My garden is coming in really well. Really late, but it's coming in. I need to learn how to do a "hot water bath" in lieu of pressure canning. I will have alot of pumpkin to can this year.

Since April, I've been looking for a job with two local school districts. Other than the one interview I had, I have not been called about a thing. Nada. Zilch. I've stopped by the HR depts, called every few weeks, and nothing happens. Getting rather sick of that. So yesterday I called one of the districts to ask what was up. Do they only hire from within? Are they laying off? Am I over-qualified? Are they NOT hiring highly qualified people? etc. etc. The HR director got a good laugh, said they aren't hiring much. Mostly people from within are taking on second jobs, which doesn't leave any room for new hires. The economy sucks and all. The other school district is not hiring, and they actually just laid off several employees in positions I applied for. That's not going anywhere productive for me.

During my daily perusal of jobs on the school district site, I noticed a listing for as Aspergers Assistant in a program called "Connections". Um, my kid has Aspergers; why hasn't anyone told me about this program? So I called Special Needs supervisor in the district. She said kids on an IEP are put into the program, per a referral from the school psychologist. My son sees the school psychologist, and attends two groups weekly that they hold for kids with social/behavioral/developmental needs. I asked if an IEP is driven by the parents? staff? She said it's driven by parents. Why do I need to be the last to know this? So I put in a call to the Aspergers teacher, and our school psychologist to see if our son can attend either the part-time or full day program. I'm not sure how it all works. At least the district will provide transportation since it's not at our designated school. Will keep updating.......

Our oldest son has been to a religious bible camp. Rather a revival. He came home the day I left for a trip without him. While gone, he tried quite hard to convince my DH that we go to the wrong kind of church (community bible church) and that we need to go to the church that sponsors the camp (baptist). My DH gave him ample opportunity to discuss, and we will not be changing churches. However, we told him we are more than happy for him to attend jr high bible study & jr high youth group there. And to boot, one of the leaders lives five minutes from us and is providing transportation! woo hoo! DH looked up our church beliefs on line, along with the baptist church. They have the same beliefs and mission statements. So, he showed our son why we are not changing churches. I will say though that I'm enjoying the new religious child. The Lord is in his heart, and he truly seems like a different kid. He offers to help around the house, is not fighting with siblings, has been affectionate, and is reading his bible daily. AMEN!

Back to the job front, by the time yesterdays conversations took place, I was getting rather sick of our school district. And the thought of working for one. It's never been my ambition to work for a school district. The hours of work was the big huge plus for me. So I got to thinking and decided: I'm going back to college fall quarter, getting my accounting skills updated (Excel & some accounting software), and applying for accounting work after the first of the year.

Then I thought, aren't there any accounting temp jobs where I could still be a SAHM in the summer? Ah, yes. There are! BINGO! So I called one of these services today (Robert Haff Account Temps---an intl organization), and told them all this, and they said:
"sign with us. You can take the computer courses thru us for free. Then you can start working as a temp for us. Since you have a bachelors degree in accounting, you will see that since you've been out of work, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) has not changed greatly. You just have to update your computer skills. Pleasure talking with you."

It was as easy as that.

I'm unofficially hired, and bringing in my tax & employee info on 9/4. That day I will start three online courses with them. And we're off and running..................
I'm still a little shell shocked it was that easy.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

holy crap that was a lot to digest. I wondered where you were. hope he gets into the program.

Diana said...

Lots had been going on in your world, too! Good luck with school and job and stuff.

As for home canning, I've done a LOT of it in my time. You're actually one step ahead of the game if you know how to pressure can!

Water bath canning is nothing more than putting the jars in a big pot, covering them with about 2" of water, and start timing when the water comes to a full boil. That simple. HOWEVER-- this method is only safe to use on high acid foods such as fruits or tomatoes (provided you have added enough lemon juice to the jars.) It is absolutely NOT safe to use for low acid foods such as green beans, carrots, squash, mixed veggies, dry beans, zuchini, etc.

There are a gazillion canning recipes available on the internet, but not all of them should be used. In fact, the ONLY ones that should be used are those that have been safety tested. You can find these recipes through major university extention offices or Ball or Kerr offer them on their websites as well. Funky methods such as "dishwasher canning" or "steam canning" are NEVER safe to use under any circumstances. They don't heat the food evenly enough for long enough to make the food safe for long term storage. Yes, they do sell special pans for steam canning, but they have never been safety tested. "It was too expensive." If you call and ask the company about it, they will tell you "that people have been doing it for years and the worst that can happen is that you'll get a stomach ache from eating bad food." Ok, thanks. Click.

I confess, I used to use the steam canning method a hundred years ago. My mom had a pan. But I noticed that the food always changed color really quickly and never smelled quite right when I opened it, even though the jars were completely sealed. In fact, some of it was down right putrid and fermented! Plus, I always had a lot of jars break during cooking. So I ended up dumping a lot of my hard work right down the drain. I quit using this method all on my own before I actually found out the real story that they never bothered to safety test the method or their instructions or their recipes before putting the equipment on the market and hyping them up as a faster way to can.

Truth is...there are NO safe short cuts in canning. Stick with the tried and true stuff!

MyGirlElena said...

Wow!! I hope the new job works out for you. That's great!!
The good part about the dog chewing your shoe is that he must feel a lot better if he wanted to eat a shoe :)
I had to LOL at your husband and the toilet situation. Yes, payback is a bitch. Ha! Ha!
And lastly, I hope your oldest son continues on the path he is now.
Oh! And I would love to see some of your quilts. You've got to post pics.

Don and Be said...

Lots going on in the household, no? Didn't go to my HS reunion - bunch of losers...and it meant going to New Jersey...oy!...I think I've survived a good portion of my graduating class anyway.
Praying that Joanna Mei's behavior is as good as the older son's after Bible camp - so far, so good.
The poopie story - oy! - have I got poopie stories!
Best of everything with the job opportunities. Parenthood is going well from this end.
Blessings,
Don